PlayStation Vita XLink Kai Setup
XLink Kai is a multi-platform and peer-to-peer LAN tunneling service which enables users to play system-link / LAN and ad-hoc multiplayer games on their consoles online with people all over the world. XLink Kai was first released in 2003, supporting the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube at launch, with PSP, PS3, Xbox 360 and others support arriving soon after. Now, as of version 7.4.32, XLink Kai has added support for the PS Vita, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
XLink Kai Home Page - https://teamxlink.co.uk
XLink Kai Status Page - https://status.teamxlink.co.uk/
Popular on XLink Twitter Bot - https://twitter.com/PopularOnXLink
Team XLink Official Discord - https://discord.gg/UyyjNpa
Supported Games List - https://www.teamxlink.co.uk/supported-games
Getting started & required hardware
- A PlayStation Vita (PSV) console
- A wireless adapter (WiFi) supported by XLink Handheld Assistant (XLHA) we recommend the Ralink RT3070
- One of the 155 supported games with Ad Hoc wireless play
- A PC running Windows or Linux, or a Raspberry Pi
- Some form of internet connection
Creating an Account
To begin, you'll need to register for an XLink Kai account and download the program. Click on 'Sign Up' at the top of the XLink Kai home page and fill in your details, then click Submit. You then need to verify your email address and consent to the XLink Kai data collection policy (GDPR compliance). Please be sure to read the Acceptable Use Policy.
Installing XLink Kai
Follow the installation guide for your Operating System:
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows XP
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 7
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 8
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 8.1
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 10
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 11
- Installing XLink Kai on macOS
- Installing XLink Kai on Linux
- Installing XLink Kai on Raspberry Pi
- Installing XLink Kai on ChromeOS
There are 155 games with the Ad Hoc wireless feature for the PlayStation Vita. To see if the game you want to play is supported please check the supported games page or look for "Ad Hoc" on the back of the game case.
Connecting your PlayStation Vita
You will need a dedicated WiFi card to connect with your PS Vita. If you normally connect to WiFi to access the internet you will need a second WiFi card. You can't connect to WiFi and your PS Vita at the same time with one adapter.
In addition to a WiFi adapter you need a copy of XLink Handheld Assistant (XLHA) which is available here on GitHub
Since XLink Handheld Assistant is under active development the set up guide is included in the download and is also available on GitHub. For PS Vita follow the section for "Vita Mode"
Playing a game on XLink Kai
- Start XLink and log in.
- Power on your PSP and load a game with Ad Hoc wireless support. This guide will use Wipeout Pure as an example.
- Click Game Arenas at the top
- Navigate to the Wipeout Pure arena using the directory on the left.
- When in the arena with at least one other player connect your WiFi adapter and start XLHA. If you have not already configured XLHA highlight
Plugin Deviceusing your arrow keys then select it by pressing spacebar. Then press right to highlight
Nextthen press spacebar.
- Select your WiFi card from the list of adapters. Your card will likely have a generic name like "Wireless LAN Adapter". Highlight and select
- If XLink Kai is running on the same computer as XLHA (like in this guide) you do not need to change any of these settings. Highlight and select
- You are now ready to start using XLHA. Highlight
Start Engineand press spacebar.
- Click Metrics at the top of the XLink Kai interface then scroll down and you should see XLHA and your PSP have been detected. If XLHA is shown but your PSP is not go to the Ad Hoc multiplayer option in your game and search for a match.
- Once another player is hosting a match select Multiplayer from the main menu and press X
- Set your tag and press X
- Select Join Game and press X
- Within a few seconds XLHA should show that it has connected to an Ad Hoc network with a name starting with
- Select your team and press X }
- Select your lobby and press X
- Wait for the host to start the game!
If you are having trouble finding other players to game with please join our Discord chat and use the various game-specific channels. There are also several fan-run discords that host regular game nights.