FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 PSP &Kai - Tips for setting-up your wireless USB adapter View next topic
View previous topic
Hawk_The_Slayer
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PSP & Kai Tips and Solutions for Wifi Max and Windows Vista 32/64-Bit users and other adapters:

This is a collection of tips and suggestions added by Xlink users for help with both Black and White Wifi Max's and Windows Vista 32 & 64 bit owners, along with general help for other wireless USB adapters. Credits to contributers listed at the end of this topic Smile

Disclaimer:
All the tips given above are undertaken by you as the user at your own risk. Team Xlink is not responsible should anything happen to your p/c or adapter as a result of attempting anything below. This post contains solutions and fixes to problems users have encountered but please be aware, what worked for them may not work for you.

###############################################

Tip 1: Enabling PSP Xlink Mode:

1st) If you havn't got this option after you've installed the adapter drivers, try the following by 'Jiggah',
Quote:
Set the compatibility mode of the driver installer to Windows XP SP2.

This is required (in many cases) to get the 'PSP Xlink Mode' to appear in the adapter's properties, experiment with other compatibilities if you don't have Windows XP SP2!

2nd) Regardless of the adapter, for some users, enabling this function is the last step to getting your compatible Wifi adapter working.

To do this, go into Device Manager, right-click on your wireless adapter and go to its Properties.
Then click Advanced and go down to PSP Xlink Mode and enable it (as per the image below taken from the Belkin F5D7050B set-up guide).

**NOTE** For Wifi Max users, this option is found in the ZDWLan Utility itself:

If you don't have or see this option, there is practically no chance of getting the adapter to work with Xlink Kai.

You either:
a) have an incompatible wireless adapter or
b) have a compatible adapter but don't have the right drivers installed. The only solution here is to find alternative drivers. Check the many set-up guides for help.

################################################

Tip 2: Black Wifi Max and Vista 64-bit:

If you're having trouble installing the ZDWLan Utiltity with Vista 64-bit and Wifi Max, it could be to do with an option called 'Signed Driver Requirement'. This may need to be disabled.

To do this, press F8 on boot and find the option to 'Disable Signed Driver Requirement', save and exit.

Tip 3: Disappearing ZDWLan Utility on Windows Vista for Black and White Wifi Max:

Sometimes this problem can be resolved by changing the compatibilities of the ZDWLan Utility.

To change the adapter's compatibilties, right click on ZDwlan utility .exe (usually found in: C:>Program Files>ZyDAS Technology Corporation>ZyDAS_802.11g_Utility), go to properties, then go to the compatibility tab and select windows 2003 server (service pack 1) or Windows 2000, making sure you have the 'run this program as an administrator' box checked.

Tip 4: White Wifi Max users and Vista:

It is reported that some of these White Wifi Max's use different drivers, namely the Ralink RT73 drivers. Make sure to change the compatibility of the installation .exe to Windows XP (Service Pack 3) by right-clicking on the driver install .exe, then properties, compatibility and check the Windows XP (Service Pack 3) option. Also make sure you run it with adminstrator privileges.

(For full topic, see: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36528)

Tip 5: Detailed set-up guide from Alex Cory for Windows Vista and Wifi Max:

Quote:
FOR WINDOWS VISTA USERS ONLY!!!
WIFI MAX DONGLE REQUIRED!!!

1. unplug the wifi MAX if it is plugged in and uninstall any pre-existing ZyDAS drivers.
2. download the drivers mentioned in the sticky note of this website(BUT DO NOT INSTALL THEM YET):
ZD1211BWinPkgS_6_17_0_0_ALL.exe

3. right click on the ZD1211BWinPkgS_6_17_0_0_ALL.exe file and select the compatability tab.(as shown in the below image) check the "Run this program in..." box and select something in the dropdown (I used windows 2000). Also check the run as administrator checkbox.

4. now double click and install the drivers like you would normally.

5. once installed, plugin the wifi MAX dongle and allow the drivers to be picked up automatically.

If you setup the settings correctly, you will see the ZD+ icon in the taskbar now.(see image below)

5. from here you can just go through the tutorial found on the sticky:
Wifi MAX/XLink Kai Setup Guide v2.0 or http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33463

that sticky has been very reliable to me for connecting any ad hoc PSP game to the wifi dongle.

NOTE: for those that can't get XLink KAI to run because of a PSSDK error, you need to right click it and select "Run as Administrator". Or use the compatability mode and check the "Run as Administrator" checkbox. (NOTE for XLink KAI: If you check the checkbox, you do not need to check the "run this program in..." checkbox, as Kai still runs on vista OK.)

Hope this helps! CHEERS!

--AlexCory

Tip 6: An alternative is to to install different drivers as per the next section by Garfinkle for Wifi Max and Vista:

Quote:
For a while know one has been able to get the wifi max to work with vista.....i just have Smile

Time for the run down
==============

1. download ==> these drivers <==. These drivers are for the Belkin F5D7050 usb adapter, which conveniently uses the zd1211b chipset and is vista compatible. Extract the file to a folder on the desktop, use winrar to extract straight from the .exe file

2. Let vista install the Atheros drivers for the network adapter (via windows update)

3. reboot vista => click on start => type 'Device Manager' into the search box at the bottom of thes tart menu and open Device Manager that appears in the list above . Choose to update the drivers for the Atheros Device In Network Adapters.

4. Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software' then Choose 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

5. Locate the extracted files on your desktop
e.g. c:\users\garfinkle\desktop\f5d7050\files\driver\

6. choose the only device displayed in the list (Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter)

7. The driver will now be updated and it will say you have installed the 'Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter'

8. Right click on the adapter, choose properties and select advanced, from here you can now enable pspxlink mode.

SCREENSHOT

9. Select network address in the advanced tab area and enter a network name such as 192.168.0.50 (as long as no other device is using the same ip address)

10. On the psp xmb, select game sharing (you can also enter a game lobby, game sharing is faster to get to than booting a game)

11. Vista should now detect the psp and collect the ssid then connect with an excellent connection, now download the latest xlink from the website and setup as usual.

SCREENSHOT

12. You should now be connected to the xlink-kai application with the psp configured.

SCREENSHOT

################################################

Belkin F5D7050v3 and F5D7050H Adapters and Windows.

Tip 7: Connection dropping fix for the Belkin F5D7050v3 adapter and Windows XP by ThiefZero:

Quote:
1) Download the newest belkin drivers for this adaptor (v3, you probably already have them installed).

2) Copy the "rt73.inf" file and paste it somewhere like your desktop.

3) Uninstall the belkin drivers you just installed.

4) Download these RA link drivers here.

http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/IS_AP_STA_7x_D-1.3.2.0_VA-3.1.5.0_RU-2.1.9.0_VA-2.2.4.0_AU-2.0.9.0_VA-2.0.9.0_111108_1.0.6.0_Free.exe

5) Install the RA link drivers. Find the folder you installed them to (for me it was something like root drive\documents and settings
all users\ application date\ralink driver\RT7x Wireless LAN Card\drivers

6) Take the rt73.inf file you copied from the belkin installation and overrite the rt73.inf file in the RA link drivers folder.

7) Go to device manager, select the belkin network adaptor, go to upgrade drivers, manually choose the rt73.inf you just copied into the ra link folder. Force it through , it will take. (i tried all of the "copying settings from the belkin rt73.inf to the ralink rt73.inf and it never worked... xp wouldnt recognize the drivers, until i fully copied over the entire .inf).

You should now be good to go, once you get into kai, hopefully, you shouldnt be getting dropped from games anymore. It's worked fantastically for me tonight.

Good luck!

Tip 8: Using Planex drivers on your Belkin?!...(use at your own risk!!)

This next section was posted by Zirrah:

Quote:
Not sure if anyone else discovered this, but I just tried using the Planex US54GXS drivers provided on the CD on my Belkin F5D7050H and...oddly enough...it worked perfectly. Now the interesting part is the drivers provided on their website DID NOT WORK. When I installed the ones on their official website, Windows didn't show another wireless network when I tried to connect to a network. No idea why, or what the differences are, but they just didn't. I have posted the drivers provided on the CD here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ardhwy

This may also work with other Atheros devices, since that is what both the Belkin and US54GXS are based on. After installing the drivers onto your Belkin, you may need to exit out of Windows Device Manager and go back in to see all the new settings the drivers add or may need to even restart your computer(I needed to restart my computer to see the new settings). Hope this helps some people out there get more cards working.

Credits go to:
MetaisKirby, ThanatosDMC, AlexCory, lonewolf43, Garfinkle, Jiggah, ROCK01, -Ricochet-, ThiefZero & Zirrah and anyone else who I've forgotton to mention!

Compiled and edited by Hawk_The_Slayer

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic