FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 I ruined my WRT54G 3.1 in 3 days... Firmware??? View next topic
View previous topic
NeMesiS2oo5
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I found a tutorial which gave simple instruction on how to install kaistation, by DL the .bin file from the website and upgrading the WRT54G 3.1 by using its website UI. I went into administration/firmware upgrade, chose the file and upgraded...

Everything seemed fine for about 10min until i noticed i no longer had a internet connection. I the upgraded to the latest firmware 4.2etc... from linksys website, still no internet connection, WTF?

I tried everything and read most post in teamxlink forums but still no luck...
I resorted to using linksys online chat, as follows:

Code:
Hi, my name is Leonides (21124). How may I help you?
Alex: Hi
Leonides (21124): Can you please confirm the model number of your Linksys product?
Alex: 3.1
Alex: is that what you mean?
Leonides (21124): What is the problem you are experiencing with your Linksys product?
Alex: I problem is that i upgraded my firmware and now i can't connect to the internet
Alex: but am able to FTP to other PCs at home
Leonides (21124): Can you please confirm the model number of your Linksys product? look underneath the router look for the model no.
Alex: ok, one sec
Leonides (21124): Okay.
Alex: WRT54G 3.1
Leonides (21124): Okay thank you for that.
Alex: welcome
Leonides (21124): Okay basically after doing firmware upgrade you need to reconfigure the router.
Alex: ??? i did reset it to factory defaults
Alex: then to the same way i had it before the upgrade
Alex: what could be the problem?
Alex: take your time, no rush
Leonides (21124): Okay so you dont have internet connection right now in the router?
Alex: no, im currently using my old hub
Leonides (21124): Okay basically you need to configure the router for your internet connection in order for that router to work.
Alex: i have, my ISP uses DHCP
Leonides (21124): Okay who is your internet service provider?
Alex: optusnet.com.au
Leonides (21124): Okay It would be better if you use our new utility to help you setup the router. All you need to do is plug your XP computer directly to the modem and access http://www.linksys.com/connect. Choose NETSET assistant and make sure to click YES on the security window that will pop-up. The next step that you need to do to configure the router will be given to you by the wizard. Log-in to chat again if you still have the same problem.
Alex: I have already done that
Alex: I've just about tried everything that i can think of
Leonides (21124): Is optusnet.com.au CABLE or DSL connection?
Alex: CABLE
Alex: is it possible that there could be a manufactoring fault?
Leonides (21124): I will be giving you instructions on what to do.
Alex: sure
Leonides (21124): Make sure that the modem is connected to the internet port of the router, then the computer connected to the no.1 port of the router, hold the reset button at the back of the router for 30secs then do a powercycle.
Alex: i tried it already
Leonides (21124): Shut down the computer first, then turn off the router and the modem. Wait for at least 1 min. then when you turn everything back on, you'll start with the modem first. Wait for the lights on the modem to stabilize before turning on the router and lastly, turn the computer on again.
Alex: tried it!
Leonides (21124): Okay and after that one access the routers setup page.
Leonides (21124): You may open the routers setup utility page of the router by typing its IP address on your browser's address bar. By default, it is 192.168.1.1. When you're asked for username, you may leave it blank. For password, its "admin".
Alex: i know....
Leonides (21124): Then below the tabs above look for MAC address clone, enable it then click on clone your PC's MAC.
Alex: If i had it running in the 1st place you'd think i could do it again?
Alex: My question is how stable is the recent firmware?
Alex: and is it able to run on WRT54g 3.1?
Alex: and is it possible for me to download older versions of firmware? so i may return to the orignal
Leonides (21124): basically its not possible to downgrade the firmware of the router.
Alex: Then what seems to be the PROBLEM?
Alex: firmware didnt flash properly?
Leonides (21124): But try to look at ftp.linksys.com/pub/network and try to look if there will be a latest firmware version for wrt54g v3.1.
Leonides (21124): Okay so is the powerlight blinking green or solid red?
Alex: the website only states v3
Alex: solid green
Leonides (21124): Okay so have you try reseting the router, and a solid green light indicates that the router is still on a stable stage.
Leonides (21124): When did you buy the router?
Alex: YES i tried resetin it! i got it 3 days ago
Leonides (21124): Okay so you may still retrun that to the store to be exchange since you still have the reset for that device.
Alex: Thanks, i'll be making a print out of the conversation
Alex: BUT
Alex: is it likely to happen with the next WRT54G i get?
Leonides (21124): AL right.
Leonides (21124): I mean alright.
Alex: sure
Leonides (21124): So do you have any other linksys device that you need helpwith?
Alex: Yeah the WRT54g, im not happy with having to return it
Alex: i work long hours, etc.
Leonides (21124): Be sure to visit our Knowledge Base located at http://www.linksys.com/kb. The site contains troubleshooting tips, how-to instructions, as well as solutions to common issues relating to all Linksys products.
Leonides (21124): Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you through Live Chat Support. For your records, a transcript of this chat session will be e-mailed to you. Feel free to contact us if you require further assistance. Thank you for choosing Linksys and have a great day!
Alex: Useless!
Alex: disconnected
Leonides (21124): disconnected

This was only 20min ago...

Does anyone have any idea whats goin on?

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got yet another defective... Of to exhange for another WRT54G 3.1 yet again!
Int15
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know if I'm too late, but did you try clearing the nvram? I had the same problem, anf after clearing it, plus rebooting the cable-modem, the problem was gone.

-Int15
NeMesiS2oo5
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah i actually tried it, just seems like i keep getting em from a bad batch....

They get you to do a whole bunch of stuff over live chat support, but was unsuccessful... They just keep telling me to return it! This time with the 2nd WRT54G the power light was flashin green & whilst its like that your unable to access the web UI. We tried a reset and Hard reset & still coulddnt get the light to stop flasahing...

I'm going to get yet another one 2day, we'll see how that goes...
Int15
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, that's really unlucky! With these odds, maybe you should think about getting a lottery ticket.
I hope you'll get a good one this time. On my v1.0, the power light flashes green when SES is not enabled (with the latest Linksys firmware), but the router works correctly.

-Int15
NeMesiS2oo5
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What are the odds? 2/3 maybe? I was finally lucky with the 3rd try, NO problems what so ever and the upgrade completed without a hitch... I doubt i would have been able to have return for a 4th time, the shop owner was pissed and thought i was doin somethin to them, lol i cleaned out he's stock...

I dunno WTF wassup...

The 1st one died after firmware upgrade & the 2nd got stuck on reset or somethin...

No matter i GOT kaistation, WOW HOO!!!

If anyone reads thanks for KAI is da madist!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic