FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Can Firmware destroy your router? View next topic
View previous topic
Rican_Havock
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all

I tried to setup my Router (linksys wrt54g) using firmware givin to me by another member of this site (god i wish i didn't do that), using instructions from the FAQ's off this site.

Right after I upgraded the firmware, I lost my internet connection on all computers on my network (5 total). I keep getting Limited or no connectivity when I connect with a RJ45 cable. when I use wifi on my laptop, i can't get to any sites, however I can access the router.

I have tired power cycling, restoring factory defaults, restoring original version 3 firmware, resetting router and switching routers.
(I have 2 Wifi G & B) I can't seem to connect to the internet OR access my routers on a "Hardline".

No matter what I do It keeps saying limited or no connectivity

I tried to just connect the PC to the routers (G & B) with no Cable modem connected, and I stil get this limited or no connectivity.

Is it possible for the firmware or malicious firmware(that i might have gotten) to fry both routers? (WRT54G is main router BEFW11S4 acts as a switch)

If yes is there a technical way this can be fixed
or am i gonna be in line at Best Buy tomorrow purchasing a new router & switch.

Your comments & help are much appreciated.
TracerX
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is always possible to screw something up when you upgrade your firmware to a third party solution. I can't see the firmware screwing up a switch though unless you used a third party firmware on it as well. I'd suggest going to linksysinfo.org and searching their forums for info on debricking. You're going to need to see if you can tftp to your router somehow most likely. I'd suggest trying a hard reset before anything else though. As for the malicious firmware, this is your first post so I'm assuming you weren't pm'ed the firmware and if thats the case I seriously doubt that someone has posted a malicious firmware here that no one else has caught yet.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic