FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 DLINK DWL-2100 - console not detected (KAI on wired PC) View next topic
View previous topic
FPGA_Geek
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your network reachable? Yes
Are you using a port-forward? Yes (port 30000 fed to PC running KAI engine)
Is your console being detected? No
Brief description of your network setup (include model numbers):
SURFBoard SB4200 Cable Modem -> wired to DLINK DI-624 wireless router (rev C2 f/w 2.50) -> wired to PC running KAI engine + GUI.
XBOX wired to DLINK DWL-2100AP (rev A2 f/w 2.00) in wireless client mode.
Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it? Disabled (Symantec Client Firewall)
Operating System? WinXP sp2
Problem description?
Network shows as reachable, PC network card detected and locked. Console not detected.

COPY AND PASTE CONTENTS OF kaiUserConfig.txt
[KaiUserConfig]
kaiUsername=
kaiPassword=
kaiPort=30000
kaiDeepPort=0
kaiAccept=LOCAL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=2
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=ON
kaiAutoLogin=ON
kaiAllowBadNICS=ON
kaiWireless=XBOX_MAC;DWL-2100AP_MAC;
kaiUI=Default

I have tried various combinations of PAT on and off and also added the XBOX and DWL-2100AP MAC addresses into the wireless MAC association box. Have tried swapping real and virtual MAC entries to see if it makes a difference.
I know that the XBOX is transmitting a ping on 0.0.0.1 UDP as a 2nd PC (connected to the DI-624 via wireless) detects the ping using a s/w firewall.
Also the DI-624 is set to allocate a specific I/P address to the XBOX MAC (not the DWL-2100AP), which it does in EVOX, so it appears that the DI-624/DWL-2100AP are performing MAC translation by themselves.
However, I still can't get the console detected. If I take the DWL-2100AP out of the loop and wire the console directly to the DI-624 router, then the XBOX is detected immediately. However, to get the console to detect system link games, I had to enable PAT in the KAI setup.
I have read through all the step by step guides and FAQ. I have also searched. There are lots of references to promiscuous mode (which I'm not sure is relevant if the engine itself is run wired), but I'm not sure whether the DWL-2100AP is cable of running in this mode. As it can also function as a repeater, bridge or AP, I believe it probably is. The only directly relevant post I found was from fal in Dec 2004.
here : http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5089

He had almost the same problem/setup as me and seemed to fix it by buying a higher gain antenna and running the DWL-2100AP as a repeater - which I don't understand. I would PM him to ask how he got things working, but the forum rules state explicity not to ask questions via PM. Also, I have seen loads of snotty comments about not searching and incorrect posting etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I can't run cable all over the house.

Cheers,
Chris.
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

I know that the XBOX is transmitting a ping on 0.0.0.1 UDP as a 2nd PC (connected to the DI-624 via wireless) detects the ping using a s/w firewall.

But what about the wired computers? do they detect the broadcast on 0.0.0.1?

The AP might not be passing the info onto the LAN and it might be stuck on the WLAN and that is why your wireless PC detects the broadcast.

Let me know. Promiscuous mode is only for people using a wireless PC to run Kai.
If you want, you could try running Kai on that wireless laptop and see if it detects the console.

FPGA_Geek
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="DIE-HARD @ Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:11 pm"]
Quote:

But what about the wired computers? do they detect the broadcast on 0.0.0.1?

The AP might not be passing the info onto the LAN and it might be stuck on the WLAN and that is why your wireless PC detects the broadcast.

Thanks for the reply DIE-HARD.
So, to test this out, I disabled the wireless on the Laptop, and wired it directly into my LAN. The firewall on this machine still detected intrusions from 0.0.0.1 so I am confident that the ping is getting through the DWL-2100AP client to the DI-624 router and then onto my wired network. I also decided to try and run KAI on this machine, but it still won't detect the console.

As a quick check, I decided to take the DWL-2100AP out of the system again. This time I used the laptop to run KAI (engine+GUI) with a wireless connection to the router and a wired connection to the XBOX.
IE.
DI-624 -> wireless -> Laptop (running KAI)
Laptop -> wired -> XBOX.

I didn't expect this to work, as I have read all the stuff about not being able to run KAI on a wireless PC.
So, I literally just plugged everything in, left both wirelesss and wired adaptors on the Laptop to get IP addresses by the DI-624 DHCP.
I didn't bother with gateway settings etc or setting up internet sharing, so the wired adaptor generated it's own IP address, which also meant the XBOX couldn't see the internet. However, setting KAI to point to the wired XBOX adaptor, everything worked fine.
With this setup, I can now see the XBOX from the laptop. The wireless connection provides the connection to the internet for KAI and everthing flies. For some reason the network reachable status shows as not yet - I have re-set the port forward to the IP address of the wireless adaptor. However, I can still see and join games.
Unfortunately, I would still like to get the DWL-2100AP working, as I shouldn't really be running KAI on my laptop - it belongs to work and I would get shot if our it guy found out.
I am now 100% sure the problem lies with the DWL-2100 and the fact that KAI cannot see the XBOX mac through it.

Anybody any more suggetions?

Cheers,
Chris.
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you truly believe it's a MAC translation problem as what you have said makes sense.

Then the options in kaiconfig for wireless should take care of it.

Thanks for doing all this testing on your own Smile saves me the time of back and forth posts!

I now know the Router/AP is passing the packets from the WLAN to the LAN.
And that it's very possible that the MAC is that of the bridge rather than the Xbox is where your PC is seeing the packets from and this is why Kai can't detect it.

Lets get your network Reachable and your network set up the way you want it and start from square one.

1). MAC Translation in kaiconfig!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic