FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 GameCube with Linksys WGA54G Wireless Game Adapter View next topic
View previous topic
Yellig
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your network reachable? Yes
Are you using a port-forward? Yes; port-forwarding 30000 through router and software firewall
Is your console being detected? Yes, but "failed to configure"
Brief description of your network setup (include model numbers): Cable Modem --> Linksys BEFW11S4 (ver.2) Wireless Router --> PC: Netgear FA311 Ethernet Card; GameCube connected to Linksys WGA54G (ver.2) Wireless Game Adapter
Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it? Yes; McAfee Personal Firewall Express v.4.5; allowing all traffic on port 30000 (port-forwarded from router); also tried completely disabling and closing the firewall; KaiConfig, KaiLaunch, KaiUI all have "outbound access"; KaiEngine is allowed to act as a server (listen on ports)
Operating System? Windows 95 "B" (OSR 2.1)
Problem description? When I connect the GameCube to my router directly, Kai and Mario Kart: Double Dash work great! No problems whatsoever.

But I am now trying to connect the GameCube using the WGA54G wireless game adapter. I have tried all of the following:

-- Disabling DHCP server on router
-- with the game adapter having a fixed IP address
-- with the game adapter told to acquire an address from DHCP, even though DHCP is disabled (trying to not assign it an address)
-- Disabling MAC Address cloning on game adapter
-- with and without using the wireless settings in Kai
-- With MAC cloning activated on wireless adapter

In my "normal" setup (the one I'd like to get working from now on), I have MAC cloning on for the wireless adapter, and DHCP on my router. In this setup, the GameCube is found, and says "configured successfully" during the "Establishing Link" screen in Mario Kart, but then switches to "failed to configure" as soon the countdown starts. I can't connect to any games.

Unhooking the Cube from the adapter and connecting it directly to the router makes everything work, even with DHCP activated.

Turning off MAC cloning causes the Cube to not even be found no matter what the wireless settings are in Kai (including none).

Disabling DHCP and giving the adapter a fixed IP caused the "establishing link" to take much longer, but then "failed to configure" showed up anyway.

Disabling DHCP and not assigning any address to the adapter caused the Cube to not be found.

CONTENTS OF kaiUserConfig.txt
=====================
[KaiUserConfig]
kaiUsername=********
kaiPassword=********
kaiPort=30000
kaiDeepPort=0
kaiAccept=LOCAL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=4
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=OFF
kaiAutoLogin=OFF
kaiAllowBadNICS=OFF
kaiWireless=
kaiUI=Default
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to have to say this but.... Gamecube sucks. Razz

It is hard enough to make sure everything is smooth with a cabled connection, why would you want to add to the lag by putting it on a wireless connection?

I wouldn't think you would want to clone the MAC, I would think setting an IP on your subnet would be the proper way to do it.

What is most likely happening is the router/bridge is dropping the DHCP reply.

Only suggestion is if you really want to play keep trying and you just might find the right combination to get you Online.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Oh ya...
Quote:
Question Question Question Question Question

Are you serious?
What speed is the computer? There is a very good chance that it just might not be fast enough to keep up with the bandwidth requirements of the gamecube and that's why it dies after you have it detected successfully.

Yellig
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DIE-HARD @ Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:38 am wrote:
Oh ya...
Quote:
Question Question Question Question Question

Are you serious?
What speed is the computer? There is a very good chance that it just might not be fast enough to keep up with the bandwidth requirements of the gamecube and that's why it dies after you have it detected successfully.

Well, I guess I assumed that wasn't an issue since I have no problems whatsover with an all-wired connection...

In any case, any suggestions for possible settings to try? What is PAT, for example?
Yellig
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, if it helps at all, I've also tried the following setups since I started this thread...

I ran Kai on a laptop with Windows XP SP1 (with all Windows Updates prior to SP2) wired into the router.

I connected the GameCube to the laptop using ad-hoc mode into the laptop's wireless card (Linksys WPC11 ver.4). I tried cloning and not-cloning the Cube's MAC address, and using and not using Kai's wireless settings.

When cloning the MAC address, I had the same results as on the PC. The GameCube is detected, says "configured successfully," then changes to "failed to configure" once the countdown starts.

When not cloning the MAC address -- no matter what the wireless settings were in Kai -- the GameCube was never detected.
Yellig
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, new research, new info; wanted to see if the Kai crew had ever heard of this...

In a post at linksysinfo.org, a user states that this game adapter (wga54g) doesn't work with UDP traffic, which, if I understand correctly from reading here, is exactly the traffic the GameCube/Mario Kart uses.

The post is here (read the last post):

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2848&highlight=wga54g+gamecube

If my line of reasoning is accurate, then this adapter won't ever work for GameCubes. Again, let me know what you think, and if any Cuber has ever gotten one of these to work.

Thanks.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic