FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 GT4 Setup Fundamentals View next topic
View previous topic
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can I just ask if I have the fundamentals correct? My configuration is a router/switch with DHCP so I will talk about my configuration specifically. I'm sure it's fairly common.

First, there are two pieces of equipment needed to make GT4 Online play available; a PS2 and a PC. Once the Kai software is downloaded and run on the PC, it opens a tunnel to the XLink service.

When I boot up the PS2, it needs to get it's network address from the XLink service, not the router/switch as it usually does. In order to make this happen, I have to block the PS2s MAC from getting a lease from my DHCP router. I'll come back to this.

This is where I'm stuck conceptually. How does the PS2 know to get it's IP lease from the XLink server??

Going back to my router, I don't see where I can block the PS2 from getting an IP lease. Could I then turn off DHCP and assign IP addresses to all my devices on the network except the PS2? Would that solve that?? Thanks.

EDIT: I see that there is a thread about manual IP so I'm assuming that's what I'll need to do on the router. But does the rest take care of itelf?

TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You may not even need to block it. Kai beats most routers to the punch - just try it and see if it configures properly, or shows as failed.

The PS2 doesn't know to use Kai to get DHCP - Kai just responds to all PS2 DHCP requests, if you see what I mean.

Secondly, dont use the manual IP config method unless you've exhausted other options.

We're only 2 days away from a UK release of GT - and I'll have it first day. Expect more meaningful support / documentation at that time.
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The PS2 does need an IP lease from Kai though, right?? It can't use a private address supplied by my router.

Each time I tried it I checked my DHCP log on the router and it showed the PS2 with a local address. There was one occassion where I went back to the PS2 and I had a race screen - Cote 'dAzur or the Ring - but I don't know if that means I was connected or not. I looked for my network name on the Kai client but I didn't see it. Maybe I was connected after all. I'm just trying to understand the topology (I guess).

TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, the Ps2 must be assigned by Kai. However, Kai's DHCP server is a little.. well.. naughty.

See, most good DHCP servers should check if an IP is in use before assigning it - by ARP'ing the address. This takes 500ms-1000ms in most cases. Kai just doesnt bother, and responds immediately.

The PS2 will use the first offer it receives - so we're normally OK..

A rock solid way to test.. start kai, goto diagnostics screen, press the little folder to change to console view. Start ps2, attempt to join lan game (doesnt matter what arena ure in). Kai will report success / failure accordingly.

TD
OiCu812
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy @ Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 am wrote:
A rock solid way to test.. start kai, goto diagnostics screen, press the little folder to change to console view. Start ps2, attempt to join lan game (doesnt matter what arena ure in). Kai will report success / failure accordingly.

TD

I get success but never get to WFC screen. I posted in the other thread for help, just thought i'd put in my .02

-stumped
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy @ Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 am wrote:
Yes, the Ps2 must be assigned by Kai.

That's what I thought. There is some confusion about that out there in GT Land.

I've tried the above and found the PS2 in the diag screen but my router is beating your DHCP server to the punch pretty much every time. I try releasing the address and rebooting the PS2 but the router is winning this battle. In theory this could work but generally speaking, it's not. Hmmm.... Confused

TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting - what model of router is it? Looks like we'll need to make a list of routers which Kai ca beat, and which it cant.

Again, we're dying over here till tomorrow when the game is out - but for now, use one of the following options:

1.) Block the mac addy of the ps2 from the router.
2.) Use a 2nd NIC card with a crossover into the ps2.
3.) Work out the 10.252.x.y / 255.255.0.0 ip for the ps2, and do it statically.

TD
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your time, I can appreciate your situation. If I can get this worked out I can probably head off support/setup issues for several hundred users for you.

This is the first I've seen reference to the 10.252 address and the 255.255.0.0 subnet. I'll poke around to see what I can find. In any case, I disabled DHCP on my router and assigned static addresses on the systems in my house. My PCs are working fine but the PS2 is no longer recognized by Kai. I'll rerun the PS2 network setup and maybe diag the Kai software. Not sure...but DHCP is not a factor now.

TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=56991

TD
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that...I did the math already though and tried the manual setting but that didn't work. I've done some more digging through here and I think I understand how it all works now. Of course, since I messed with the PS2 network settings, I can't get through Sony's proprietary DNAS system now so I'm stuck for a while. Thanks again for everything...

ruffnutts
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy @ Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:36 pm wrote:

TD

The ip it gives you were do you put that
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was stuck with the Sony DNAS -611 error because I had set the MAC to be blocked in my router (forgot about that). I took that off and the network adapter reset. I'm getting conflicting information about the IP addressing though. I've been told that the PS2 needs a private IP address and that Kai takes that and assigns it a public address but according to the setup guide here, that's not the case. Not sure. I'm confused. All I know is that I can only get as far as "failed to configure."

Re the 10.252.x.x address, I'm assuming that goes in the IP settings on the Sony adapter config. I tried that too but then the Kai software didn't know the PS2 was there at all (which sort of supports the theory that the PS2 does, in fact, need it's own address).

ruffnutts
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ive been trying for hours now but not with GT4 though thats in the post

ive been using timesplitters2 and battlefront just to get it working i have a wireless router a d-link g604t and a dwlg-122 that came with it

i hard wired the ps2 to the nic card in my laptop with a crossover cable
and set the ip addresses up so the ps2 can see the nic card loaded kai and then loaded the games to search for games ps2 keeps failing to configure its doing me nut in now Sad

@ TheDaddy that link you posted were you put the last for digits of your
MAC address to get the ip were does that ip have to be put sorry for
the silly question?
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ruffnutts @ Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:27 pm wrote:
TheDaddy @ Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:36 pm wrote:

TD

The ip it gives you were do you put that

I was finally successful in setting up a new configuration on the PS2 with the static IP address (10.252) and subnet yet I still get the "failed to configure" error.

OiCu812
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy @ Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:33 am wrote:
Interesting - what model of router is it? Looks like we'll need to make a list of routers which Kai ca beat, and which it cant.

FYI its a netgear rp614. I'm going to try the 10.252.xx to see if that works.

Thanks,
OiC
XCondor
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Im guessing completely here guys, but are we getting confused between PS2 memcard general network profiles - and the settings in the game?

From what I remember - most other ps2 games use the config from the memcard, but doesnt gt4 let you enter the details in the game itself?
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't done any other online gaming with the PS2 so I'm not sure how it compares to others in terms of configurations.

Here's how it works with GT4; you create a network configuration with the PS2 setup disc then boot up GT4 Network and choose that setup option. The setup panel also provides gameplay options like whether you're hosting or not, number of players, etc. There is another LAN panel that provides an option for auto-connect and a channel. Once all that's configured, you go to the Arcade version of the game and choose LAN/Multiplayer. If you didn't set it to auto connect, you select the configuration you want to connect to, otherwise it attempts to connect right away.

What I'm still confused about is whether the PS2 needs a private address first, and then an address from Kai, or whether it only needs the address from Kai. The fact that I could use the public IP address I configured with today makes me think I should be able to use just that address, but then it still won't configure. I can't configure the router to route my UDP traffic on port 30000 to the public IP address so...I'm kinda stumped.

ruffnutts
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Got my ps2 to work lastnight with kai heres what i did

banned my ps2`s mac address in my router

set ps2 natwork config to auto detect

pluged in crossover cable into my lap to and set the nic ip to 192.168.0.1
subnet to 255.255.255.0

and in kai config tool set nic card to auto detect

then started kai searched for a game and bang it was successful!

i was playing timsplitters 2 with maclifanger!

i now its not gt4 but when it comes in the post i will report back

ruffnutts out
KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fortunately, for some people, the setup has been painless and easy but that hasn't been (and won't be) the case for everyone. I've spent enough time on it and just can't get past the "failed to configure" message. It's starting to wear on me now and I have other things to do like finish getting all my golds. So, I surrender.

Good luck to all of you. Have fun.

KidAGT
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just had a good conversation with TwoCents. He forwarded a link to the Quick Start guide, which is not the same thing as the Definitive PS2 setup thread (which mentions a quick start guide but doesn't link to it).

In the guide there is a link about wireless cards, which I have. My wireless card is probably not compatible. I don't know that connecting my laptop via wire is going to solve my problem but it sounds as though it may.

Call me the least common demoninator. I suggest that the Quick Start Guide - which is very well done - be linked to the front page, particularly at a time when you have numerous first-time PS2 networkers coming to your site wanting to jump right in. I also recommend introducing the Quick Start nearer to the top of the blinking thread by dfunked, somewhere before 'we're not going to spoonfeed you' so, just in case people are put off by that, at least they'll see the link to the guide before clicking the back button.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic