FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Got it working too. Thanks for your help. More inside View next topic
View previous topic
chokran
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok, after some days of playing around and reading all the stuff you guys wrote (special thanks to cphoenix and gleex) i finally hosted and joined my first games of ridge racers. i'm trying to make a summary of the steps i took here, hoping to help another desperate soul out there...

first of all. if you try to use a intel 2200bg wifi chipset inside your laptop (like my vaio tr2), forget it. i'm almost 100% certain that it won't work. maybe i still had a mistake with that config, but it works with my new wifi card.

after reading cphoenix's success with a linksys WPC54GS, i went to my nearest store, bought one, and.... was online.

i have two working configurations now:
1) Internet -> Cable Modem -> Wire -> Laptop -> WPC54GS -> PSP

2)Internet -> Cable Modem -> Wire -> Apple Airport Express -> Laptop -> WPC54GS -> PSP

I obviously prefer the second one, so i still can roam around my flat with the laptop and will explain this one

1) My laptop's internal wifi connects to the airport, where it get it's nated ip in the 10 range via dhcp. you don't have to care about this, as long as
you don't have a reason to. just make sure your machine can connect
to the internet.

2. Install a second wifi adapter from the stick thread or use the LinkSys
WPC54GS, which hopefully will be added to the list. I tested both
assigning an ip in the 10 and 192 range. bot worked perfect. so choose
what suits you best.

3. Start up Ridge Racers and start hosting a game.

4. Check your second wifi card for a network with ssid PSP_AULJS_00001_L_0 or simillar. Connect to this network (i used channel 6).

5. After starting up kai, i still didn't see the psp connected. i had to go the ridge racers arena, then kai reported the psp.

6. People saw my hosted game and connected. I still don't see other games inside kai, but just trying to look for another game with my psp sometimes brought up another screen, showing an open game.
if anyone could explain me, how i see open games inside kai and not just try for minutes to find one with my psp, i'd be very happy.

it's still kind of a hassle though. if i end one hosting session and want to open a new one, i have to disconnect my wifi, start hosting and connect again. then, nothing is perfect (not even the psp itself)
ot: anyone of you guys got the dust problem too?

thats it for now. gotta go and play some more Smile
CPhoenix
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Congratulations! Very Happy

Couple of questions I would like to ask you though.

Do you have Linksys software still installed on your computer?
Although I did change my WiFI SSID to the PSP SSID in the linksys software is there a method to do this without it? (I couldnt find it in my Properties / Advanced Values).

btw.. I've not long posted details very similar to this in my other thread only thing I didnt mention was the SSID and included details to ensure that your PSP is seen in windows first. I will try again when I get back home.
chokran
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i saw your detailed description after opening this thread. think mine would not have been necessary it seems.

i had the linksys software installed at first, but uninstalled and just used the driver. didn't like to have another software like that besides the one for my internal intel set. only problem is, i have to stop the intel software now and use windows to configure the adapters, when i want to play with my psp and the second adapter.

i'm not sure if i quite understood your problems regarding the ssid. i just wrote it, so people can see what they have to look for. i did not create a profile for the ad-hoc connection. i just start hosting a game, the scan for networks in the area (with the windows wizard) and select the ssid sent by my psp. you don't have to change or configure it in the linksys tool, because your adapter will get if from the psp when you connect.
CPhoenix
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

chokran wrote:
i saw your detailed description after opening this thread. think mine would not have been necessary it seems.

Naw... your is much more concise and clear!

Anyway - good call on the SSID (I didn't put it in mine post because I didn't know whether the SSID had any effect on Wireless AdHoc Networks).
menormedia
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

look at this guide from cphoenix

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic